Traffic and Law & Order



            For effective traffic management, traffic police are detailed at Kamalpur town, Ambassa market and Manu market considering the huge vehicular movement.  Traffic personnel are deployed in two shift  starting from 0600 hrs to 1400 hrs and second shift from 1400 hrs to 2200 hrs. Regular checking is carried out to detect MV Act Case and safety road trafficking.  Beside this,  in other places also raids and checking of vehicles are conducted by the traffic unit Dhalai & the PSs for effective traffic enforcement. 


Dhalai Tripura Police what to do, if Police (Traffic) give signal to stop your vehicle.




  • A policeman (traffic) in uniform has the right to demand your driving  license and inspect your vehicle documents. He may impound your license if he should so judge it necessary.
  • If a policeman (traffic) gives you instructions on the road, it is your duty to obey them regardless of what the electronic traffic signals say. When a traffic policeman is stationed at a signal/crossing, he is the final authority.


  • Stop your vehicle when a traffic policeman so indicates.
  • You may ask him what the reason for your being stopped was.
  • Do not argue with the policeman. If you feel there is a genuine argument for your having broken a rule, explain it to him.
  • If you have committed a mistake, admit it candidly, seek his pardon. He may well let you off with a warning if approached with courtesy.
  • Do not drop names of policemen and influential people.
  • If the policeman is insistent, show him the requisite documents, and allow him to take whatever action falls within the purview of his duties.


  • He may note down the particulars of your licence which will later be forwarded to a court. The court will then issue instructions regarding what course of action is to be taken - a certain amount as fine. If you plead guilty and send the requisite amount, the case will be filed, else summons will be sent to you and the case will be judged on merit.
  • He may impend your Driving  Licence. You may compound the offence by paying a fine at the police station under whose jurisdiction the licence was impounded. Else you will be provided a summons from court, if you fail to appear in court, an arrest warrant may be issued.
  • If the policeman is an officer of rank sub-inspector or above, you may compound the office on the spot by paying a fine. The relevant receipts will be provided to you.


  • If a traffic policeman harasses you for illegal gratification, never yield to his demands.
  • Allow him to impound your licence, do not attempt to bribe him even if coerced.
  • Note down his buckle number/name which will be written on a plate on his shirt. If he does not have one, you may demand his identity card. If he fails to provide you an identity card, refuse to give him your documents.
  • You can approach the police station with a specific complaint indicating all the particulars about the incident, this MUST include details about the concerned police officer. You can also send this complaint by registered post or e-mail.


  • Not carrying valid licence while driving /. driving without a licence.
  • Allowing a vehicle to be driven by someone who does not have a licence.
  • Driving without insurance / permit / fitness
  • Speeding / reckless driving
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol.
  • Lane-cutting / dangerous lane-cutting.
  • Moving against a One-way.
  • Improper use of headlights.
  • Using a private vehicle for commercial purposes.
  • Overloading a goods vehicle.
  • Carrying goods in a dangerous manner.

If a person after having committed an offence (under the Motor Vehicles Act.) refuses to give his name he can be arrested by a police officer.