Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I get a criminal case registered?

  • Normally, a complaint can be lodged in any police station where  the offence has been ccurred.

2. Can the police say 'no' to receive a complaint?

  •  No, Police can’t refuse to receive any complaint of criminal act.

3. Whether I have to sign the FIR for a crime case to be registered?

  • Yes, the person giving information relating to the commission of a cognizable offence has to sign (with full particulars) the FIR as per section 154(1) CrPC.

4. Whether I will get a copy of the FIR, registered on my compliant free of cost?

  •  Yes, a copy of the FIR shall be given to the informant free of cost as per section 154(2) CrPC.

5. Whether other than FIR, I have to put signature in a statement recorded by the police during investigation of the case?

  • No statement made by any person to a police officer in the course of an investigation shall if reduced into writing, be signed by the person making it as per section 162 CrPC.

6. Whether police can summon a lady/girl to the police station?

  •  Section 160 CrPC authorizes a police officer making an investigation to require the attendance before himself of any person, who appears to be acquainted with the circumstance of the case, but no male under 15 years or women shall be required to attend at any place other than place in which such male or women resides.

7. Can I send a compliant by email?

  •  Yes, a complaint can be given to the police through email.

8. Can I give a compliant over phone?

  •  Some times an information about the crime is communicated to the police on the telephone or it may be conveyed by telegram. As per law this sort of information is not FIR since it both lacks authenticity and it is not possible to obtain the signature of the informant.

9. Whether it is an offence to lodge a false report to the police?

  •  Lodging a false report with the police is made punishable under section 182 and 211 IPC

10. If I am an affected person or if I happen to see a crime or any violation, what am I supposed to do?

  •  You can report at the police station in whose jurisdiction the event has taken place either by phone or visiting personally. You can even send your written complaint by post. If you have complaint against a police officer, you can send or report the complaint to the station officer, City Superintendent of Police/D.S.P., Supdt. of police, I.G.P. or even the D.G.P.

11. Are there any particular opening and closing hours for police stations?

  • The basic functional unit of police is police station, which is open for 24 hours a day for your service.

12. Is it possible to have police security for the individual property?

  •  Police department is committed to ensure safety & security of life and property. Police patrolling is done in the respective areas of police stations to ensure safety & security of life and property.

13. Can I call the police on the basis of mere suspicion and if so, then on which number?

  • In case you see anything unusual/suspicious, you can call the police anytime at 100 number which is toll free. Police will verify the facts and act accordingly.

14. How to call the police service for handling anonymous/threatening calls?

  • If you get anonymous calls which may be threatening or harassing, you can inform the local police station or control room (100) or lodge a complaint to the local police station.

15. If I come to witness an accident, how should I react? Will there be any legal complications from the police department?

  •  In such a situation, inform the nearest police station. If there is no injury to any one, wait for the police to come to the scene of the accident but if somebody is injured in the accident, it is your duty / duty of the member of public to take him to the nearest medical facility center, doctor on duty is bound to give first aid / treatment to the injured without waiting for the police formalities. It is not necessary to take the injured to government hospital or to wait for the police to come.

16. What is the procedure for the complaints regarding the missing person?

  • Report the matter to the police station / out post / nearest police camp with details of the missing person personally or on phone when you are sure that the person is missing.